​​You are getting married, and we are certain you have many questions! After assisting hundreds of couples through the process, we hope to do the same for you. Below are our most frequently asked questions so that you can better understand the process of  getting married with Elopers. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Do we need a marriage license?
Yes. For legally binding marriages, a license is required. While licenses are not required for commitment ceremonies or vow renewals, a commemorative certificate can be provided.

Will you provide the marriage license?
No. Couples must appear before the courts and apply for their marriage license. Fees may vary.

How do we get our marriage license?
Couples must apply for their marriage license in the state they plan to marry. In Maryland only, you must obtain your marriage license in the county where the marriage will take place. CLICK HERE for more information on how to obtain your marriage license in the state/district where you intend to marry.

After we receive the license, is there a waiting period before we can get married?
Maryland: Yes (48 hours)
Virginia: No
West Virginia: No
DC: No

How long is our marriage license valid?
Maryland: 6 months
Virginia:   60 days
West Virginia: 60 days
DC: No Expiration

What is required to get a marriage license?
Most courts will require both party’s state-issued identification and social security number to obtain a marriage license. If you have been previously married, see the question below for more requirements.

This is not my first marriage. Is the process for obtaining a marriage license different for me?
Slightly. You just need to provide the date, county, and state (or country) for EACH divorce or death (for widows).

Do I need a witness?

Do we need to bring our marriage license with us to the ceremony?

What happens with our marriage license after the ceremony?

Your wedding officiant will complete, sign, and return your marriage license to the courthouse for processing.

Do we have to be residents of the state where we plan to get married?

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?
A copy of your marriage license is included with our services. However, if you decide to obtain it independently or need more than one copy, you must contact the courthouse where the license was issued for directions on how to obtain.

Will my last name change after the marriage license is returned?
No. You must formally submit documentation to the government for an official name change.

NameSwap is a great alternative for those looking to change their name without the hassle. NameSwap is our step-by-step guide to changing your name after the ceremony. We send you the steps and all the forms needed to legally change your name. Each packet will include all forms and office contact information local to your city/state. No research required! Just print, fill, and deliver/mail forms and you are done! The cost is $49.
Contact us if you are interested.